Monday, April 26, 2010

Word Association.

Today I was talking to a dear friend that seriously brings out the very best in me. I always hang up the phone feeling refreshed, uplifted and enlightened.

Today was one of those days. We were crying (literally) to each other about personal trials. Challenges that hopefully we conquer and look back on with a sigh of relief.

She said something that really helped me.

"Guilt should only be associated with sin."

Genius.

Why do I weigh myself down with guilt?
I have always associated guilt with my inadequateness.

The dishes aren't done.
Kids eat sandwiches for dinner.
I napped instead of _______(fill-in-the-blank).
I can't seem to get around to sorting that stack of papers.
Or that laundry.
I didn't properly thank a very thoughtful person.

Yeah, so? So, none of those things are associated with sin. Why then must I beat myself silly with guilt. It's okay.

Thank you dear friend. Thank you a million times.

So, the dishes aren't done.
The kids won't remember they ate grilled cheese...let alone care that they did.
I am rested.
Yes, the papers are stacked, but lucky for me, my house isn't in the next Pottery Barn photo shoot.
The laundry can still be found, even if it's in a basket and not a drawer.
I verbally showed appreciation and was truly sincere, after all, that is my style.

Once again, genius. So insightful and just what I needed today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That't wonderful, Jen. Thanks for passing that on.
Best,
your favorite "cousin", Leah