Friday, June 27, 2008



This is our dog Rocky. He joined our family when Max was 4 and I was going through a serious bout of baby hunger that felt more like starvation. I thought a dog would satisfy Max's need for a sibling and offer companionship. I also thought a puppy would satisfy my need for an infant. Four years later, I now have a rebellious "teenage" dog who drives me crazy.

Last week I thought I wanted to kill him or just beat him silly (don't worry, I didn't...but I really, really wanted to) because he ate ALL of my herbs. Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Sage, Parsley, Cilantro. EVERY SINGLE LEAF OF EVERY SINGLE BUNCH. I thought I was in a dream...I couldn't believe my eyes...GONE....ALL GONE.

I got over it, until today when my healing wound was reopened. The 4 foot tall barrier Leon built around the garden was proven worthless by this mutt. After scaling the fence, he dug up my tomatoes and tore up zucchini, cantaloup and cucumber. So, if you see him wandering around town, do not feel pity for this dog and do not return him. He had it coming.

8 comments:

Laura Lee said...

Kent says to take him to the pound...or shoot him! hahaha He is mean. I told him to go outside and get you a 'care package' from our garden!

Heidi Best said...

I still think he mistook the herbs for really yummy grass. But, the vegetables.... hmmmm... what a naughty dog! Does he know what he did wrong?

Amber, Dan, and Fam said...

Oh No! I would be beyond peeved too! I don't blame you for wanting to do away with him. lol

Jen said...

Thank you Farmer Kent and Lovely Laura Lee for your thoughtful garden goodies! What wonderful friends you are!

Eliza said...

nrWe got home from our trip and our garden MOSTLY survived our watermellon however didn't. It really stinks to put in all this time and energy just to throw it all away. So sorry to hear about your loss.

Rosalyn said...

I don't like dogs anyway, so do what you want. j/k. At least you know who ate it. My garden gets eaten and we don't have pets!! Hmmm

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he is trying to get your attention! Just like a kid. Doesn't care what type of attention, good or bad, as long as he gets the attention. Our dog hates "sour apple" spray. You can get the spray at a pet store. You spray on anything the dog is not to chew on (even the dog). You just have to figure out what flavor he hates! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Ahh dogs you love them but you can do things without them! Your family is so adorable. The little one is so big!