Monday, October 13, 2008

No Apologies.

I was talking to a friend about what a busy week it had been for me. It's seems like in my life, it's all or nothing and this week was a lot to deal with! The worst part was that for a couple of days, dirty breakfast and snack dishes accumulated and piled up in the sink. In response to this confession she said, "I admire that you can do that." I really wasn't expecting that kind of response and it caused me to think a bit. Looking back on the week, what we did make time to do instead of dishes was so much more important.

We cuddled, we ate, we played, we read, we talked, we did homework, we gave service, we prayed, we worked together.

There was a lot of, "What can I do to help?" Leon even offered to make dinner 2 nights (Japanese rice bowls and drive through) and it was thoughtfully delicious! Max helped me make signs for 20+ school carnival booths! Sam even helped by taking a long morning nap!

I love that as I shared what is usually not bragworthy...she didn't judge me, but helped me to recall how I spent my time best!

Oh, and check out the fun we had at the school carnival too!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! Looks like the carnival was a lot of fun! I can't believe how big Sam is getting! Is he walking?
Cuddling, eating, reading,talking, doing homework, giving service, praying, and working together are much more important than a spotless house. What do you want your kids to remember when they are older; a parent who has a spotless house or all the things that you did together? It's like when your kid wants to paint his room black or bright red. It's only paint! You can always repaint when they move out.

The Ball Family said...

Aww... I am so sad that we weren't at the carnival! I really miss Willow Glen! Looks like the carnival was a lot of fun!

steveandjonelle said...

Good job prioritizing. You have some handsome boys there. GOod work!

Tam said...

That is so wonderful - and a great way to look at it. I think it is so easy to look at what needs to be done and forget the stuff that really needs your attention. When everything is said and done your kitchen will always need to be cleaned and there will always be dirty laundry but those are not the things that will be remembered. Good for you and thank you for reminding me!!!

Maggie said...

The kids will grow up fast but the dishes will always be there. Good for you for spending your time doing what is most important!....and I must say again...Great talk at Stake Conference!!