Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Another Year Older.



My birthday was on a Wednesday this year. That alone should have been a sign that it was going to be a forgettable day. When you're 33 with kids and your birthday falls in the middle of the week it's not expected to be a celebration with fireworks and a fancy dinner. Instead, it's cleaning toilets, forgetting your kid at school, 2 hour football practice in 107 degree weather and cheese quesadillas for dinner. So August 25th 2010 came and went as expected and it's okay with me.

It's hard sometimes as a mom to say, "Don't forget to help the kids make a card for ME!" or "Maybe you could help the boys find something special for ME for MY birthday." or "Ya think you could convince the boys to do extra chores the since it's MY birthday?" or "Maybe since they have zero money, you could remind them to give me a big BIRTHDAY hug." It's hard because it shouldn't have to be done...right?!!?

But the reality is, most traditions come from us moms. We really are talented when it comes to making our family members feel special, especially on their day. Growing up, our family had a tradition that was passed down from my moms family...birthday dinner. The menu was made to your liking. What ever you wanted, it was served. I have always loved birthday dinner and so does our little family. Leon+Birthday=Tostadas (every year!)

This year was no different, even being 33. We had dinner on Saturday night at my parents with a "just surprise me" menu that turned into an instant favorite. Seriously, my Mom is amazing and thoughtful.

Beef Bourguignon with roasted potatoes
and for dessert...
Pavlova with summer berries

It turned out to be memorable after all!

3 comments:

lacy said...

Ouch, Leon. I would seriously look into making next year's Thursday birthday better...a lot better. And also, try not to let her family show you up!!!! Just kidding. Er...I'm sure that you did some super nice stuff for her that she didn't write about....right?

Erica said...

Your dinner looks amazing!! I'm glad you had a yummy birthday dinner!!

Jen said...

Oh, Lacy!!! I kinda feel bad now! He does work very hard and to his defense he has been working around the clock the last few months. I am sure next year will be better...with friends like you to remind him!!! I'll call you on the 23rd so you can check up on his plans for making it up to me!!! xoxo