Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Do You See What I See?




What sneaky kids do to find their Christmas gifts early...

Unwrap gifts early and re-wrap.


Cut tape off package, unwrap, re-wrap, and reapply new piece on top.


Search attic with friend.  
Watch friend fall through ceiling.  
Witness friends legs hanging through the ceiling into the laundry room. 
Pretend nothing happened.  
Tell yourself nobody will look up.
Play coy when confronted by angry parents.


Look for empty shopping bags.


Shake and measure wrapped gifts.

This is why I try to find the best hiding spots for our children's Christmas gifts.

Not because this sneaky child is Max, but because it was me.

I do fear that the apple might not fall far from the tree.

This year it seems Max is much more aware and curious.

He's asking questions.

He's offering to carry in shopping bags.

He's putting my things away for me.

The other day he told me to take my time while showering.

Hmmmm.

And so it has begun.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your story! I know if I was getting a little to curious Grandma would say “Go ahead and look. You’ll still get the same gifts on Christmas day and then it won’t be a surprise.” I believed her and stopped looking. I had a friend in high school that was so bad that her mother had to leave the gifts in the trunk of her car and make sure she didn’t leave the spare key lying around! Then there is your Uncle Pete. When he was 8 or 9 he found all the gifts. He knew exactly what he and his sister were getting. He says it was the worst Christmas ever; as he still had to wait for Christmas and it wasn’t any fun since he knew what he was getting. It took out all the magic! He never looked again. I would do what my Mom did. Act like you don’t care if they are found: and let him know that he’ll still be getting the same gifts on Christmas Day. There will be no surprises. He’ll either believe you or he’ll find out like his Uncle Pete. Pete to this day will not even pick up a wrapped gift as he is good at guessing what is inside and doesn’t want to ruin the surprise!

Anonymous said...

haha! marge told me a story about her bro-in-law. he did something awful and in his stocking it said, "maybe if you got better grades..." you get it. i was like, "holy smokes! jen, you're not alone" good work screw up kid.