Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Gift Worth Giving...and Receiving.


What kind of holiday gift giver are you?

Are you the homemade gift giver?
A baked with love gift giver?
or
A personal store bought gift giver?
or
Last minute-that'll do-throw it in the basket-procrastinating-giver?

According to Martha Stewart (a quiz on her website), I am a...

BIG-TIME BAKER!

These gingerbread snowflake cookies are my favorite treat to give during the holidays!
It all started a few years ago with the perfect cookie cutter...
Then I found the perfect cookie dough recipe...
With the perfect amount of decorating...

I can say perfect several times without sounding braggadocios because it is not my recipe.
It belongs to Martha.
(But I do have a tip...this freezes perfectly!  In fact, I usually spend one day making a variety of cookie dough, wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them to bake another day!)

So, without further ado... 
 
Gingerbread Snowflake Cookies
Ingredients

Makes 16 cookies
6 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon finely ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 large eggs
1 cup unsulfured molasses
Royal Icing
Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
Put butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in spices and salt, then eggs and molasses. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Divide dough into thirds; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 1/4-inch thick. Cut into snowflakes with a 7- inch snowflake-shape cookie cutter. Space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
Bake cookies until crisp but not dark, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
Put icing in a pastry bag fitted with a small plain round tip (such as Ateco #7). Pipe designs on snowflakes; immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar. Let stand 5 minutes; tap off excess sugar. Let icing set completely at room temperature, about 1 hour. Store cookies between layers of parchment in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the cookie cutter! I don't remember getting any of these cookies, Humm...Guess I know where I stand! I was looking for a new giner cookie recipe; I found one for a ginger snap that was a hit; I'll definitely have to try this one. Any ideas where I can get a cool cookie cutter too?!?

Tam said...

Okay - You made that cookie. It looked so beautiful I thought you got it of the Martha website. What a treat. It even makes me wish we still lived in bako so I could be on your list!!!!

Merry Christmas

Jen said...

Auntie,
I got the cutter at Crate and Barrel, and I love it! It is sturdy and big enough...it is really a good one! I have seen a great variety at Shackford's in Napa. Isn't that the best kitchen store ever?!? I even got a fleur de lis cutter there for our Cubs Blue and Gold! I should make them next time I come up, they'd travel really well I suppose! You must email me your ginger snap recipe...I love them and haven't ever made them, and it always best to start with a recipe that is a hit!!! Love you!

Jen said...

Tam,
It is from her site! Gotcha! I wish you were still close by too-that would be wonderful!

Anonymous said...

oh, bravo. im totally doing it, mmm. i love cookies!

Jessica Hughes said...

I'm going to try it.

tbardo66 said...

Jennifer,

I am not responding to the cooking recipie but I wanted to say hello and see how you are doing. Please do not get us any gifts for Christmas. Anthony and Isabelle are materially well (lol), and I think everyone is nervous about the economy,etc. Contact me and let me know how you and Leon are and when you might come to mom's. She said you may come up on the 26th, blah, blah, blah, tom.bardessono@gmail.com or 707-815-2502 Tommy B!