Tuesday, December 16, 2008

When Life Gives You Oranges...Make Pomanders.



One of the ongoing debates Leon and I have is about our citrus trees.


They are located in the front yard.


Leon says, "Fruit trees DO NOT belong in the front yard."


Followed by, "I'm cutting them down."


And because of such strong opinions, Leon's brother cut down a perfectly good apricot tree.  It gave the biggest and sweetest apricots you could ever imagine.  And then it was gone.  And so was our supply of canned apricots.  And jam.  And cobblers.  And free all-you-can-eat apricot schmorgasborg.


Okay, back to the battle on the home front...


I love our trees.  They give lemons twice a year and softball sized oranges, juicy and sweet...and practically seedless. 
 

As some neighbors borrow a cup of sugar or pinch of salt, ours grab a lemon.  The trees make me feel like I am doing my part for the neighborhood.


I don't take the threats seriously, but just in case I make sure every orange and lemon is used.  
Otherwise waste might just give Leon the excuse he is looking for to crank up the chainsaw.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding?! Cut down your citrus trees?! Do you know how many people would love a citrus tree let alone a good citrus?! Plenty I’m sure. Sure, most people don’t plant them in their front yards, but the trees are always green, they don’t loose all their leaves and turn an ugly brown in the winter. It’s nice to be able to go outside (sure you can’t go out in your undershorts since the last guy didn’t plant them in the back yard) and get fresh citrus. The last owners of our house planted not only citrus, but olive trees right next to the pool!! I saw in a book at the hardware store what type of plants would be good around a pool. The first DON'T on the list was citrus trees!! These are the kinds of trees you do not want next to a pool as they drop olive leaves, olives or citrus all over the place. If it’s a good year, it’s hard to keep up with all the trees. One day there are green citrus on all the trees, the next day the fruit is twice as big and ready to eat!! Besides I think your trees look good in your yard. But that's only my opinion.

Cyndy and George said...

I say Keep the trees! Hey how I get in on that "all you can eat citrus smorgasbord" ????

Jodie and the boys said...

I grew up with orange trees in the front yard...I say, Leon keep your stinking chainsaw away from the trees! You don't get rid of perfectly good trees that yield yummy fruit just because you don't like where they are! I side with Jen!