Thursday, March 27, 2008

Driving Me CRAZY!



I have tried to stay silent but after this last road trip, I am not sure if I can accept Leon's driving skills "as is". I am still holding out for a change, because I do not understand, cannot relate and have very little patience for these skills. I know some things Leon does can be endearing or quirky or cute, but this is just something I'm not sure I can embrace. Here we go...

1. He drives way too close to other cars...he's bumps into OUR OWN cars when he parks them, trying to see how close he can get.
2. He talks to other cars on the road, for example: "Take it Honda" "Come on Buick, move over" "Let's go Toyota"
3. He avoids using the brake on the freeway (better gas mileage he says) and waits 'til the last second to make a stop. I have worn out my imaginary brake with all the times he has almost ran into the driver ahead of us.
4. He cannot navigate what I would consider familiar routes...like going to Napa. We've been there a million times and I still can't trust if I nap that I'll wake up to find us on the right road. Many times we have ended up on the wrong freeway which always adds a twist to the trip!
5. He runs out of gas regularly. Seriously, probably monthly. I do give him credit for having learned to call his friends instead of his less than sympathetic wife.
6. He makes me car sick in the mountains (and I only get sick if he's driving) because he drives way too fast on the windy roads and again, doesn't use the brake.
7. He tries to see if he can make it to the upcoming red light by taking his foot off the gas and coasting.
8. He finds humor in other drivers who race ahead to be stopped at a red light. He calls it "racing to the next red light"
9. He likes the adventure of finding something new to eat on Hwy 99 or 101. Good luck.
That is not the time to find a Rice Bowl if you ask me. In N Out or Taco Bell...maybe.
10. He makes up Highway numbers. The only REAL one he knows is 99 and 198.

I could probably think of more....

11. My job as the passenger otherwise known as "Navigator" is to see if he can pass the car going too slow in the fast lane. "How much space is over there?"

Okay, now that I've had a good laugh, I do find it slightly endearing and funny. One thing that I do appreciate is that we both know I can always get us there by being the navigator because he never questions my good sense of direction. I do still hope for the day that he can get places on his own but have to admit it's nice to be needed. Luckily, there's more to Leon than his driving skills (I'll save those for another time!).

8 comments:

Amber, Dan, and Fam said...

LOL! Thanks for the warning, I will make sure to stay of the road when Leon is driving. ;p

Tam said...

WOW - that is crazy!!! I know what you mean though - I always have a hard time with Michael's driving. My biggest problem though is really just my problem. Michael falls asleep really easily (they call it Woolsey desease) and I am convinced that he will sleep at the wheel so I stay awake until I am about to pass out. He never has fallen asleep driving but it still worries me!!!

Eliza said...

I can totally relate I grew up with a father who was/is a bad driver. I feel lucky to say Jeremy on the other hand is an awesome driver. I can sleep the whole time we are on a trip and not worry once that he might fall asleep or get lost. That boy had an internal compass. It's a good thing Leon has you to be his guide.

Cyndy and George said...

And he says I have road rage????? It is no wonder people like me are yelling at him on the road! What a crack up! I could probably use 8 out of 10 of those for MY husband too!

emily w. said...

i'm definitely the navigator in our family. i do have an internal compass. love the posting...you are hilarious!

Raeanna said...

I love it! You guys are so fun!

Ginny said...

I laughed so hard when I read this...I even shared some with David to see if he would admit that it sounds so much like him. He even laughed - realizing that he and Leon must be kindred spirits.

Anonymous said...

baha, i only laugh b/c i am GUILTY of #'s 11, 2, and 3! hahah!