Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Is Yoga a Sport?


Call me crazy, but I love love love anything that makes my child come home exhausted, starving and drenched in sweat. This translates to a good night's sleep, eating all his veggies and a shower! Thank you wrestling season for starting today! Typically, I am not the kind of Mom who will over schedule her child (and herself) in all kinds of activities, but I really insist on him doing some type of sport.

We've tried lots of other sports with out success: baseball (lots of staring up into the sky) and soccer (horrible run of bad luck with over the top coaches) but for the last couple of years, wrestling has been a winner. The biggest plus is that Leon takes him and helps coach...good for father-son bonding. Today I was really looking forward to another season of wrestling, but Max was not. His moping around most of the afternoon sighing and asking "do I have to" was really worrying me. Then 15 minutes before practice he asks to be late. After some talk I realized he was afraid of having to do cartwheels and running summersaults, something they did last year in the beginning of practice (I don't blame him...I have horrible memories of being awful at cartwheels).

So with 10 minutes to spare and in true "Casey Family" fashion, I moved the furniture away from the carpet and began demonstrating a cartwheel. I'm sure I looked weak because I felt REALLY WEAK, but I did it anyway. After several attempts and finally mastering the tumbling, he turned to me and said, "Can I just do Yoga instead?" I tried really hard not to laugh because I think he was really serious and I insisted he go and give it his best! With a hug and kiss, I sent him on his way with the vision of his Mom's big body being thrown through the air as his inspiration.

Luckily he came home to report a great practice...he took down 2 kids in 3 seconds and best of all, NO CARTWHEELS OR SUMMERSAULTS. Thanks coach!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

hahaha I totally laughed out loud with this one. I love it!! It sounds like Max and Jake are very similar. I think wrestling sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll try that one with Jake.

Anonymous said...

Maxwell, I am YOUR NUMBER ONE fan! right behing your ma and pa! Tear it up on the mat dude, pin him for 3! whoop whoop!