Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Max the Reader





Today, Max's teacher told me he some exciting news! This week Max had a Reading Assessment Test and past Level 44...in other words he has a 4th grade comprehension level. His teacher was really impressed with his retelling and summarizing. Max loves to read and watching him read brings back memories for me.

When I was Max's age, my love for reading began. It might have started earlier in life, but this is when I remember not wanting to put a book down. I remember weekend drives to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Sacramento and if by the time we'd arrive I wasn't done reading, I would sit in the car until I was finished. Sometimes, if it got too hot (remember...Sacramento!) I would find an unused room to continue reading. I would take a book wherever I'd go. I just couldn't stop!

For Christmas or my Birthday, my Grandma would always give me a book (she now does the same for our boys). Some books were ones she read as a girl. It's amazing what a connection you can make with another person, just by reading a book. When I reflect back on this small area of my life, it makes me so grateful to have Parents and Grandparents who saw something of importance and encouraged it to grow.

Many of the books I read today are children's books, right now it's Spiderwick with Max. We take turns reading aloud to each other. I am always looking for ways to stay connected with him...this is one way that works for us. What are some books that you have enjoyed recently? What some good kid picks? With all those choices out there, the ones recommended by friends and family are the ones I trust!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I love it!! What a smart kid. I love it that Jake is a reader too. He sometimes sneaks a flashlight to bed and totally reads past bedtime what a crack up!! You guys look great!! What a cute couple you guys are. You look exactly how I picture you.

Anonymous said...

hello, i was a HUGE Hardy Boys fan. its kind of a classic, but totally good times.